I had planned on getting up early this morning and riding my bike 15 minutes to the post where I lock it up and a homeless man usually asks to watch it for me and then run along the path on the ocean. Last night I stayed up untili 3 am watching the Oscars. I never usually watch the entire thing. But I was enjoying TV in English and stayed awake and alert for the whole thing. And thought it was so funny/ridiculous- Melissa Ethridge giving her thoughts about how Al Gore is our hero and we need to start protecting our earth because we have all the resources to do so...after thanking her wife and 4 children. Needless to say, I didn't do my morning workout. And I still feel a bit tired but need to do lots of laundry and dishes. I stayed at Solonge and Emily's house for about 2 weeks during Carnaval and another break from the project because they live closer to everything in the city. My room here in Janga rains inside when it rains outside. Therefore, I came home to wet, smelly clothes and damp everything! My bed is also always covered with cement chunks from the roof that is not complete. I've gotten used to it, but I still grunt every time I have to clean everything everyday.
I was just talking to Ivandete (my Brasilian mom) last night about how I only have 4 months left. I've already been in her house for 4 months and it has passed faster than you can imagine. I have to admit that this thought of only having a few months left is a happy one. But it does make me want to make the best out of what is left. I wouldn't want to leave any sooner or any later...there are still things to come here.

Carnaval. One of the craziest events/parties I have ever experienced. Ask me when I get home. The stories could go on for a while. I'll just say that it officially ended on Tuesday and yesturday afternoon a bloco was going down the main street in my neighborhood. A bloco is a semi-truck with a band and dancers on top playing way too loud music. The holidays never end here.
And this is me eating the best mac 'n cheese sent from a sweet girl who I've never even met named Laura. She was a SALTer here last year.
I was just talking to Ivandete (my Brasilian mom) last night about how I only have 4 months left. I've already been in her house for 4 months and it has passed faster than you can imagine. I have to admit that this thought of only having a few months left is a happy one. But it does make me want to make the best out of what is left. I wouldn't want to leave any sooner or any later...there are still things to come here.

Carnaval. One of the craziest events/parties I have ever experienced. Ask me when I get home. The stories could go on for a while. I'll just say that it officially ended on Tuesday and yesturday afternoon a bloco was going down the main street in my neighborhood. A bloco is a semi-truck with a band and dancers on top playing way too loud music. The holidays never end here.
And this is me eating the best mac 'n cheese sent from a sweet girl who I've never even met named Laura. She was a SALTer here last year.

1 Comments:
At 11:14 PM,
priscilla said…
Oh Magie.... I love that picture of we all, at the parque da Jaqueira!
That's so pretty!
Please send that one to me!!
love,
P.
Post a Comment
<< Home