Directions from a Stranger
My eyes are so squinched in my profile picture and my cheeks look swollen.
THAT said, I just got a short email from a friend and it made me feel 70% better that I was feeling seconds before I read it. I am just really not liking the culture here, but I don't know what all is involved in me forming this conclusion. I know it is not just the Latin American culture itself, it is combined with so much more, but right now it makes me feel a little better to be able to blame my disliking of whatever it is on something...if this isn't making sense just disregard it!
I took the complimentar from the MCC house to Solonge's house today. The complimentar is a small bus that goes a specific route and has air conditioning. I like complimentars. I got off about half way throught the 40 minute ride because I always pass this cute older house that has some sort of business going on in it. I always wanted to jump off early one day and check it out. So I did today. It is a salon, a really cute one, probably a little expensive. It was closed so I went to catch another complimentar. It came shortly after I got to the bus stop. I noticed we passed my favorite park and I had never realized that we always pass this park. Then we were passing these other areas that I recognized but didn't think my complimentar passed from the MCC house to Solonge's. So I ask the lady next to me if it passes the area I was headed and she said no...you should get off. So I got off. I asked a few ladies standing at this bus stop which bus to take. They were very friendly and helped me out. Whenever you ask someone here directions they are more than happy to help you and will go out of their way to show you. People have walked blocks with me before. This is one thing I like about the culture. Yes...getting a little more positive about things! Okay. So I get on and the ladies I had asked for directions got on the same one. They told me exactly when to get off and where to turn. They used the word "sinal" in part of their directions but I couldn't remember what that word meant and I didn't want to ask. I get off and start walking repeating that word in my head and it finally came to me. Duh...signal. 3 buses later I found the house. I got off a lot closer than I thought I was. It turned out better than I thought.
This is a long explanation of my bus riding today. Sorry if you're bored.
I'm going to water aerobics tonight with Solonge. I hear it's all old ladies. I'm excited!
THAT said, I just got a short email from a friend and it made me feel 70% better that I was feeling seconds before I read it. I am just really not liking the culture here, but I don't know what all is involved in me forming this conclusion. I know it is not just the Latin American culture itself, it is combined with so much more, but right now it makes me feel a little better to be able to blame my disliking of whatever it is on something...if this isn't making sense just disregard it!
I took the complimentar from the MCC house to Solonge's house today. The complimentar is a small bus that goes a specific route and has air conditioning. I like complimentars. I got off about half way throught the 40 minute ride because I always pass this cute older house that has some sort of business going on in it. I always wanted to jump off early one day and check it out. So I did today. It is a salon, a really cute one, probably a little expensive. It was closed so I went to catch another complimentar. It came shortly after I got to the bus stop. I noticed we passed my favorite park and I had never realized that we always pass this park. Then we were passing these other areas that I recognized but didn't think my complimentar passed from the MCC house to Solonge's. So I ask the lady next to me if it passes the area I was headed and she said no...you should get off. So I got off. I asked a few ladies standing at this bus stop which bus to take. They were very friendly and helped me out. Whenever you ask someone here directions they are more than happy to help you and will go out of their way to show you. People have walked blocks with me before. This is one thing I like about the culture. Yes...getting a little more positive about things! Okay. So I get on and the ladies I had asked for directions got on the same one. They told me exactly when to get off and where to turn. They used the word "sinal" in part of their directions but I couldn't remember what that word meant and I didn't want to ask. I get off and start walking repeating that word in my head and it finally came to me. Duh...signal. 3 buses later I found the house. I got off a lot closer than I thought I was. It turned out better than I thought.
This is a long explanation of my bus riding today. Sorry if you're bored.
I'm going to water aerobics tonight with Solonge. I hear it's all old ladies. I'm excited!

2 Comments:
At 2:37 AM,
Tricia said…
I think you look hot. No squinty eyes and swollen cheeks.
At 8:48 PM,
priscilla said…
HUM ERHUM.... Excuse me, are you saying my mom is a old lady Magie???
haha... well... its true there are a lot of old ladies, I remember when I was there once, but my mom is not old, come on! she is very young and full of energy!
she's our Mamush!!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home