listening and writing at the same time
Does everyone meet their spouse in Texas? geez...Brad Bell, the pastor I'm listening to right now, just mentioned how he met his wife inTexas...my good friend noel met her husband in Texas. hmmm. Maybe I'll move to Texas.
I went to a bike shop today- a little hole in the wall. They pumped my tires up and adjusted my seat for free because the guy works at my church, but I think it's free anyway. It felt like I got a whole new bike! Aline a burrhino, the name of my bike which translates as Aline the small burro (a donkey-like animal), is doing me good. She is my car for the next 8 months.
I have a cold and am definately feeling not very good at all. The normal so-tired-you-can't-lift-your-arm-or-fully-open-your-eyes feeling. But there is the one good thing about getting a cold- losing your voice. Hasn't happened yet but I'm feeling like this is a lose-your-voice type of cold. So I went to buy some cold medicine today and asked the guy if he had some that was for nighttime. He had no clue what I was talking about. He goes and gets sleeping pills and I repeat myself saying that I would like cold medicine for nighttime/sleepy cold medicine....he still didn't get it. So I just got some regular stuff. Can't really understand what it says.
I was reading the newsletter whatever you call it that MCC sent out to all the SALTers a while back. I hadn't read it yet because I lost it until today. It is actaully really really interesting. God put it in my hands today...couldn't have been better timing. I won't go into everything it's about or why is it the perfect timing because you more than likely won't understand my english being that I have a cold and am only speaking portuguese these days. It's titled "Pilgramages towards transformation."
OH- funny story. Yesturdy I was at the Lagoa church for this peace conference. We were given a blank piece of paper and told to write our grandmother's name and below that our favorite food. So I write Thelma and Sorvete (ice cream). We then had to break off into groups who shared common favorite foods. So I go over with Emily and 2 other Brasilians who understand English. Emily's like, "Megan, what is Thelma?" with this puzzled look on her face. I said, "It's my grandma's name," like duh....that's what we were supposed to write. She bursts out laughing. And I say, "weren't we supposed to write our grandma's name?" which I thought a bit odd in the first place, and she said, "who told you that? " I said, "I asked 3 people and they all said the same thing." She laughs harder..."You were supposed to write your favorite flower!" That was a gooood laugh. Talk about misunderstanding a language. Maybe you had to be there to get the same amount of laughter.
I went to a bike shop today- a little hole in the wall. They pumped my tires up and adjusted my seat for free because the guy works at my church, but I think it's free anyway. It felt like I got a whole new bike! Aline a burrhino, the name of my bike which translates as Aline the small burro (a donkey-like animal), is doing me good. She is my car for the next 8 months.
I have a cold and am definately feeling not very good at all. The normal so-tired-you-can't-lift-your-arm-or-fully-open-your-eyes feeling. But there is the one good thing about getting a cold- losing your voice. Hasn't happened yet but I'm feeling like this is a lose-your-voice type of cold. So I went to buy some cold medicine today and asked the guy if he had some that was for nighttime. He had no clue what I was talking about. He goes and gets sleeping pills and I repeat myself saying that I would like cold medicine for nighttime/sleepy cold medicine....he still didn't get it. So I just got some regular stuff. Can't really understand what it says.
I was reading the newsletter whatever you call it that MCC sent out to all the SALTers a while back. I hadn't read it yet because I lost it until today. It is actaully really really interesting. God put it in my hands today...couldn't have been better timing. I won't go into everything it's about or why is it the perfect timing because you more than likely won't understand my english being that I have a cold and am only speaking portuguese these days. It's titled "Pilgramages towards transformation."
OH- funny story. Yesturdy I was at the Lagoa church for this peace conference. We were given a blank piece of paper and told to write our grandmother's name and below that our favorite food. So I write Thelma and Sorvete (ice cream). We then had to break off into groups who shared common favorite foods. So I go over with Emily and 2 other Brasilians who understand English. Emily's like, "Megan, what is Thelma?" with this puzzled look on her face. I said, "It's my grandma's name," like duh....that's what we were supposed to write. She bursts out laughing. And I say, "weren't we supposed to write our grandma's name?" which I thought a bit odd in the first place, and she said, "who told you that? " I said, "I asked 3 people and they all said the same thing." She laughs harder..."You were supposed to write your favorite flower!" That was a gooood laugh. Talk about misunderstanding a language. Maybe you had to be there to get the same amount of laughter.

4 Comments:
At 7:05 PM,
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 1:03 PM,
Anonymous said…
soooo, now that i'm all caught up =)
i bet you're gonna have thighs of steel after all your bike riding. i'm jealous. maybe i should join in on the fun, though the weather here is way nasty now.
i am so jealous of your adventures and stories meggie!! hope i can come and join in on the fun!! we'll work on that...but for now, i'll continue to pray for you, and you continue to let God tug at you and soak it all in.
At 10:07 PM,
Anonymous said…
Ok, so this is going to seem like a completely random comment but here it goes. I was on Facebook, and a bunch of SALT people have profiles. Remember us talking about people and relationships at orientation, and people hooking up? Well I have this weird suspicion that Fetsum and Julia have/are hooked[ing] up. Weird, eh?
At 8:46 PM,
Anonymous said…
I've only been in touch with Laura (Vietnam) and Kevin (Korea). Someone is already back in the states? Are you serious? When Max (MCC guy) gets back from the US, I'll pick his brain. And it's actually 7 months from Christmas day, until we go back home. That's not too bad. I had Starbucks yesterday... There are 10 on every corner in Hong Kong, along with McDonalds & 7-11. I'm looking forward to Viet Nam.
Post a Comment
<< Home