Times In Brazil....

And she lived in Brazil for one year....

May 02, 2007

Ipanema at Starbucks

I just entered a contest online to win a trip to Costa Rica. It was easy and fast; I usually don`t spend time doing things like that. Someone had told me that the theme at Starbucks right now is Brazil. I browsed the site and that is definitely the theme. Coffee from Ipanema right now is their suggested bean buy. It`s weird how Starbucks has had a running theme in my life for the past 3 years. When I got back from Guatemala I first started working there. At the ridiculous training classes everyone is required to go to, they were showing the process of coffee-making right from the bean and showed a lake in Guatemala I had just been at a few weeks before. It was kinda crazy to have that little connection. Then, right before I left 8 flippin` months ago for Brasil, they had a Brasil them going on. Now, again, it has returned. And Ipanema! I loved that place. The people, the smell, the soft sand and big waves....delicious.
I read another SALTer`s blog this morning. She had gone para gliding and said something about how it didn`t give her that thrill she thought it might have and was questioning what it was going to take to put that feeling in her stomach. I thought the same after hang gliding! It`s true how just walking through the city alone or dodging traffic on my bike is more scary. It probably wasn`t the best thing for me to read her blog and see all her pictures because I began to feel a bit jealous that I`m not having all those adventures. She`s in Bangledesh and has to wear totally different clothes and has been to several of the surrounding countries. It`s too dang expensive to just travel here in Brasil. It`s a huge country with higher prices for quality services. Rio was my one adventure, and I wouldn`t take it back for anything, but can`t help wonder how if I were in another country (another continent) my adventures would be completely different, include a lot more hiking and cheap travel. But I can`t let myself think about it too much (that reminds me of a C.S. Lewis quote that I don`t remember right now).
I am going to go here pretty soon to drive my CR to the dentist. I am practicing driving today because when my parents get here I will be their motorista and need to know how to be a defensive driver.
79 days and can`t wait for hot showers. Today I was jumping up and down to try to speed up my heart rate before entering into the freezing water. I didn`t wash my hair. I couldn`t stand it for too long.
I keep smelling Baja Fresh and Red Robin.... chai, jamba, frozen yogurt.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Megs, as you write about starbucks, I am sitting at home and have just brewed a cup of Ipanema. It's alright, I bet it taste better there! I have been reading your blogs and thankful that you keep us updated in this way, there mesmerizing. You think that it would be a completely different experience another place, another time... What if you were meant to be there for that one situation. Maybe it hasn't happened yet, but would that make it all worthwhile? That one encounter. Would that make all the cold showers, long bus rides, hot weather, worth it? I think about you all the time. I have another friend who had to come back early from Scotland... long story. Be thankful that God is continually teaching you and protecting you. Listen for His whispers... much love, Michelle

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger mindymouse said…

    MEgan, I love your list of things that you miss. ie: Red Robin( 1/2 foccacia club with no ham of course =) and frozen yogurt. lol I love how honest you are in your blogs. IT is very refreshing. From my eyes you have been living quite the adventure. Since you've been gone the farhtest i've gone is Arizona..and my life has consited of endless busy school. i wish i could visit you there.sigh. I guess, all i can say is, hang in there( i'm sure you get that a lot) i think your trip will make you enjoy CA more than you did, since u can recongnize all the small things we tend to take for granted here. Miss you and love u

     
  • At 1:30 AM, Blogger CWW said…

    i often think of you SALTERs in much more FREE places.it's really oppressive for women here...i've done a ton of traveling and its been a good adventurous year in that way, but I often think you all are out salsa dancing, drinking beer, hanging out, feeling more at home than me in these stupid matching clothes that make me look like I am 299 pounds. not to mention that there is no social life for women here. we shouldn't even go into tea shops. but i do. :) soooo....is the grass always greener? :) 79 days. you got me counting them down, ya know...

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When you get home, we will have TCBY waiting for you! And then we will have to go out to Red Robin and Baja! I remember when we were saying 79 more days until the wedding. It flew by for us and I am sure it will do the same for you! See you soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home